Ashe Ferry History

Located on the Catawba river at this site on State Road 504 between Lancaster and York counties was the last State operated ferry in South Carolina. The ferry, built in 1927-1928 by William Newton Ashe, founder and owner of Ashe Brick Company, was operated by the company until the early 1940’s when it became part of the state highway system. Operation ceased in October, 1959, when the Bradford-Ashe Bridge across the Catawba River on Hwy 5 was completed.

This is a compilation of information regarding the Ashe Ferry, provided by Project chairman Betty F. Broom